The Sanctuary of Romanian ethnography and folklore:
- in north-western Transylvania -
5 day trip
A T.S.D. tour
The Romanians themselves would refrain from going to Maramures
without a Leader into the symbolism and meaning of the many pre-Christian symbols coexisting with contemporary beliefs and achievements.
This is the area in which the old gods - the sun, the moon, the star - side by the cross in serene understanding; the modern physician and the witch; the obscure spring rituals and modern education and schooling; the traditional and the technological, in harmony and tolerance.
The Transylvanian Society of Dracula
managed to get the most knowledgeable native of Maramures as your Leader into the meanings of the deep Past - prof.dr. Mihai Dancus, director of the "Maramures Museum of Ethnography and Folklore"
, frequent contributor to the TSD seminars, symposiums. Privileged are those who can see Maramures through his eyes.
- departure to Transylvania by van
- visit the medieaval Brasov. Lunch
- dinner & overnight in Sighisoara (3* hotel)
- sightseeing of Sighisoara, the best-preserved walled-town of 15 century in Europe (UNESCO heritage)
- arrival in Baia Mare capital of Maramures, important industrial and mining centre (non-ferrous metals), mediaeval city
- transfer to hotel "Carpati". Meet prof.dr. Mihai Dancus
- sightseeing of Baia Mare, inclusive of the unique Museum of Gold & Mine Crystals, mediaeval remains
- cross the forested, picturesque Gutai mountain into Maramures proper
- visit Nicoara Hotea and his workshop of sheep-skin coats, in Sat Sugatag: the most famous craftsman of such coats in Maramures
- the ancient "troita of Berbesti" - supreme ethnographic treasure
- wood-carvings at Giulesti, representative of wood-arts in Maramures
- arrive in Sighetu Marmatiei
- dinner & overnight at hotel " Tisa "
- visit the Maramures Museum of Ethnography and Folklore in Sighetu Marmatiei, in the company of its director, prof.dr. Dancus
- visit a private collection of art in the city (Pipas)
- lunch at "Curtea Veche" in Sighetu Marmatiei (1680)
- departure to Sapanta and its world-famous "Merry Cemetery"; this unusual site cannot be forgotten
- live ethnographic aspects in Sapanta: the local wool industry, water-mills at work
- arrive in the village of Vadu Izei: dinner & accommodation in farm-houses (bathrooms, toilets inside). Share a few hours with a Maramures family, and beware of the fiery "horinca", the 70 ° -proof plum-brandy of divine powers.
- ethnographic, historic, social aspects along the valley of river Iza: wood churches at Barsana, Ieud, Susan, Bogdan Voda. Lunch in the area (picknic)
- drive back to Sighisoara
- dinner and overnight in Sighisoara
- arrival in Bucuresti
- if time permits, visit Peles Castle in Sinaia
Please share your impressions of Maramures, the Sanctuary, to choice people only.
The price covers:
NEW: View 2013 land prices list in PDF. Click here!
- land transport by van (a/c; benzine; insurance)
- expenses and fee for prof.dr. Mihai Dancus
- guide service, translation of Prof. Dancus'stories
- accommodation in 3 and 2 star hotels, in Sighisoara and Sighetu-Marmatiei
- accommodation in a double-room in a farm-house at Vadu Izei
- breakfast, lunch, dinner for all the sojourn
The Company of Mysterious Journeys will penalize the tourists who renounce their bookings as follows (subtracting bank-transfer charges):
1) for cancellation of 30 and more days before the tour start: full refunding (minus banking charges)
2) for 29-21 days cancellation: 30% penalty
3) for 20-14 days cancellation: 50% penalty
4) for 13-7 days or less cancellation: 100% penalty in favour of the CMJ.